Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Taking on financial chores

This is sort of a double role reversal story.

Long ago in our marriage, I ran the finances. I kept the books on paper, tracked spending and really did a pretty good job.

Then came the period when she was the homemaker, caring for small children and taking care of the house.

It was then that she began handling the finances, sort of as a help mate who kept track of paying the bills.

Then she got back to work, hitched on to a great gig and has seen her earnings skyrocket. I've since left a career type job, built and sold a company and now I'm a househusband.

Now all the loans and financial things are in HER name. Even most of the credit card offers that come in the mail are addressed only to her.

But she's tired of worrying about paying the bills -- even if most of it is now automatic. She's tired of worrying about it. And she told me the other night that she wants to delegate the day-to-day financial work to me. The point is that she isn't giving up any power or authority -- only the CHORE of paying the bills and developing small strategies for paying things off, etc.

No comments: